Get a first hand info on viral fever, and tips for its remedy.
Viral Fever : cause and treatment.
Fever is defined as elevation in body temperature more than normal in response to a pathological stimulus. In viral fever viruses are the infective agent
These viruses enter the body through inhalation, direct contact, vectors, and contaminated water and food. After entering the body virus replicates in the host DNA and finally spread locally and via
Bloodstream to various systems of body, thereby manifesting various signs and symptoms. This
virus infections are more easily to be picked up in person with low immune status.
1) It affects all age groups and occurs mainly in winter season but now seen throughout the year. Infants and old age peoples are more vulnerable.
2) It usually lasts for 2 to 5 days and may extend up to weeks.
3) Viral infections are highly contagious so it spreads rapidly.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
a. Fever varying from low grade to high grade, abrupt or gradual in onset associated with chill
b. Body ache, nausea and vomiting.
c. Headache, redness of eye, photophobia, rash.
d. Running nose, cough, and cervical gland swelling, joint pain.
e. Pain abdomen ,loose stool
f. Generalized weakness or lassitude persists for several weeks and causes quite difficulty in resuming the full level of activity.
Viral fever usually subsides by itself but if prompt treatment is not undertaken it may further COMPLICATES to------
3.) Hemorrhagic fevers
4.) Also Otitis media, pharyngitis
Mainly depends on history and clinical examination rather than laboratory investigation. Routine blood test will not show any significant findings. However confirmation about viral illness is done with viral isolation and culture and increase in antibody titre in blood samples. However peripheral blood smears are taken to rule out malaria in endemic areas, Widal test to rule out typhoid fever. If fever and cough persists for more than 14 days then sputum for acid fast bacilli is taken to rule out tuberculosis. If complication occurs then they need to be investigated accordingly.
Treatment is mainly supportive as viral fever usually subsides within 7 days.
1) Patients are advised to take rest, avoid crowded places, cover their face with mask or handkerchief
2) Proper hand washing, maintain hygiene.
3) To suppress increase temperature, patients are encouraged for cold water sponging of whole body. If temperature is more than 101 F then take drug Acetaminophen or paracetamol.
4) Antibiotics are reserved for secondary bacterial infections
5) Patients are encouraged for plenty of fluids administration to maintain hydration.
6) Proper healthy diet.
7) Control of vectors like mosquitoes.
8) Associated complications are treated accordingly.